Saturday, January 14, 2012

30 Days... We can make it 30 days, right?

Jeff and I have been trying to figure out some things regarding our family's eating habits. Many of the things we have looked into have been convicting but we have yet to really follow through on them in our home. We have decided to take the 30 day challenge, removing all sugar, dairy, beans, legumes and grain for 30 days. Our main reason for using this as our starting point is that we would like to limit processed foods in our daily eating and want to go through a "detox" before adding them slowly back into our routine. We want to know how these foods are making us feel and if we really need to eliminate any of them completely. I personally struggle with taking things like this to an extreme but 30 days sounds reasonable and I really need to try and get away from how much sugar I have been eating. I do not see us maintaining this as a forever lifestyle... who knows, maybe we will feel so good that we will not want to stop. What I am hoping for is that we come out on the other side with better habits. Maddie will be eating mostly the same meals we are eating but we are not removing dairy for her and I will be letting her have some grain. We have purchased a cookbook and there are also a few blogs that have some recipes. A friend has been sharing her family's 30 day challenge on her blog and I have really enjoyed it so I will be sharing ours here.

A few of the documentaries we have watched that made us think about our way of eating:

Food Inc
Food Matters
Fat, Sick and nearly dead

1 comment:

Rebecca & Tucker said...

Sounds fun! Another great documentary that we've watched recently was Forks for Knives.