Friday, January 20, 2012

30 Day Challenge, Day 6

Today we tried a couple of things with our coffee. I made almond milk latte's this morning and there was still something that just felt off. So for my afternoon coffee I decided to make drip instead of espresso and liked the almond milk that way. I think I will still try a couple other options for creamer... I apologize for obsessing over this, but I really love coffee.


Breakfast today was egg muffins. This is something I have been making for a very long time, the main difference was not being able to use lunchmeat and cheese but it did not really make a big difference. You can put whatever meat and veggies you want but for these I used roasted chicken, red pepper that I sauteed for a few minutes in a little oil, green onion and tomato. I use one egg for every muffin, crack the eggs into a bowl (I like to use a large measuring cup so that they are easier to pour) and whisk them lightly with salt and pepper. Divide your veggies and meat between your muffin cups and pour the egg over them leaving a little room for them to puff while baking. If using cheese just place a slice over each muffin at this point. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. One of my husbands favorites, and great for company. You can throw this in the oven to bake while cooking pancakes (not while on this challenge though :).


Si had avocado for lunch today :) I ate a new batch of chicken salad (same recipe from Day 1) on some lettuce leaves. I discovered Larabars today and ate that as a snack, so so good.


This is a beautiful thing, a himalayan salt plate. My sweet husband spoils me by feeding my love of cooking, he bought this for Christmas and this is the first time it has been used.


Here is the block in action, cooking cinnamon steak skewers. You can heat it up on your cook top or in your oven and use it like a grill. Considering the amount of snow outside right now and how cold it is, an indoor way to grill is a wonderful thing! It also seasons your food with the Himalayan salt so don't be like me and put salt in your marinade when using one, it was the only thing wrong with dinner tonight.


And here is tonight's meal:

Cinnamon Steak Skewers
Four 6 oz steaks (I used 1 10 oz steak for Jeff and I), Juice of 1 lemon, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp cinnamon powder, 1 tsp curry powder, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, salt and pepper to taste

Because I used less meat I adjusted my marinade to suit what I needed but the recipe is as stated above
1. Soak wooden steak skewers in water for an hour prior to grilling
2. Cut steak into cubes and place in a 1 gallon ziploc bag
3. In a small mixing bowl whisk together marinade ingredients
4. Pour marinade over steak, seal ziplock bag and marinate in the refrigerator at least 1 hour, up to 24 hours
5. Skewer the meat. Grill on high for 12 - 16 minutes, turning every 3 - 4 minutes.

Yam
Peel, cube and boil 1 large yam. When soft enough to easily poke a fork into the cubes drain and return to pan. I added the same ingredients in the marinade for my meat leaving out the curry powder and replacing it with 1/2 tsp chipotle powder. Mash or puree until fairly smooth.

Brussel Sprouts
I cut them in half, coated them in olive oil, seasoned with salt and pepper and roasted them on a sheet pan in a 400 degree oven for about 25-30 minutes.

I know this was another long blog, but we ate some really good food today and I did not want to leave anything out.

No comments: