Sunday, January 22, 2012

30 Day Challenge, Day 8


My sweet husband made breakfast this morning :) It was an egg scramble with the last of our pulled pork and some portabella mushrooms served on top of raw spinach garnished with crumbled bacon, tomato and avocado... I felt spoiled!

Lunch was leftover chicken curry from last night but I did make some cauliflower rice to pour it over. I like it both ways, the "rice" gave the broth some body and texture but did not really affect the flavor. I would say that if you would rather eat it like a soup to leave the "rice" off but if you want eat it like a saucy stir fry, make the rice.


For dinner we ate spaghetti squash with chunky tomato sauce and a spinach salad.

Chunky Tomato Sauce
I warmed some olive oil in the bottom of a pan and added chopped onion and bell pepper with some salt. I let the veggies sweat with for a few minutes until the onions were just starting to look translucent. I added a few sprinkles of crushed red pepper, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 can of tomato sauce and fresh crushed garlic (3 cloves). It was a little thick at this point and I knew I wanted it to cook down a little to develop flavor so I added about 1/2 a cup of chicken stock... just eyeball it so that the sauce thins enough to cook down and thicken up again. Bring it to a boil, reduce to a simmer for about 20-25 minutes. Add 1 lb of browned ground beef and salt to taste.


Maddie cleaned her plate! Success :)

No comments: