Tuesday, January 17, 2012

30 Day Challenge, Day 3

Day 3 was a little more difficult, not because I was tempted to eat anything that was not on the list but because I just feel tired and a little off. I do not know if I should blame the challenge or the fact that my baby boy did not want to sleep last night.


Jeff goes to work at 5 a.m. every day so it is important that he can just grab something quick to eat. Because of that I made this crustless Kale Quiche last night so that he could just heat it up before leaving for work. I would say that this is pretty good, not my absolute favorite. I think the only problem was that I did not cook the kale long enough before putting it all together. I will give it one more chance because the flavors were great, the texture was just a little off.


For lunch I made some barbecue sauce to go with the pulled pork from Sunday, some deviled eggs and a salad.

Barbecue sauce (from Make it Paleo)
1 tbsp coconut oil (I used 1 tbsp bacon fat because I had just cooked some bacon for Jeff's second breakfast), 2 cloves garlic minced, 2 shallots, 1 tsp each: organic spicy mustard, smoked paprika, chipotle seasoning, ground cumin and salt, 1 1/4 cups chicken broth, juice from 1 1/2 limes, 6 oz can of tomato paste. (1 tsp maple syrup is optional but not on the whole 30)

1. In a saucepan, heat coconut oil on medium heat. Add garlic and shallots and saute until soft and translucent
2. Add mustard, smoked paprika, chipotle, cumin and salt. Continue to saute for 30 seconds.
3. Add chicken broth, lime juice, maple syrup (optional) and tomato paste. Whisk all ingredients until smooth.
4. Bring to a light boil, reduce to simmer and slightly cover with a lid. Simmer for 45 minutes and let cool

Deviled eggs
I just hard boiled eggs and used some of the mayo that I made on Sunday along with some dried dill, paprika, salt and pepper. I have no quantities for you, it is all to taste


I generally have a cup of coffee in the morning and then another in the afternoon but today I kind of wanted a treat. This is a recipe I found a few days ago for a pumpkin chai latte and have been wanting to try. It was really good! I know that a little bit of sweetness from the maple syrup would have really made it great but I enjoyed it without, you still get some sweetness from the coconut milk. I will make this again but I think it is more like 3 servings than 2 and I am planning to try it with light coconut milk or almond milk next time.


Dinner was herb and garlic roasted chicken, brussel sprouts and cauliflower rice (Maddie ate all of this really well but particularly loved the cauliflower :). Really good! I accidentally left the oven on preheat instead of moving it to bake and my chicken turned out perfect, golden brown and juicy. I am sure you guys do not need a recipe for roasted chicken or brussel sprouts but here is the cauliflower rice (also from Make it Paleo):

1/2 head of cauliflower, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1/2 yellow onion, 1 clove of garlic minced, salt and pepper to taste

1. Rinse cauliflower and break away from stem in large chunks
2. Using a cheese grater, grate the cauliflower to a coarse texture (think rice grains).
3. Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onion and garlic until onion is relatively translucent
5. Add in the cauliflower rice and continue to saute for 4-5 minutes
6. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

No comments: