Sunday, January 15, 2012

30 Day Challenge, Day 1

Our first day went well!(there will be more recipes from today than you will normally see, I have a few staples to cover).


One of the deal breakers for me on doing this challenge was cream in my coffee! Not using sugar is one thing but I am just not a black coffee drinker. Another family doing this same challenge found this recipe for non-dairy creamer. The one note I will make here that they do not discuss on the blog is to make sure your egg is at room temperature and that after you melt your coconut oil you give it a few minutes to cool off before adding it to the mixture. It is definitely not half n half and has a coconut aftertaste that I am still getting used to, but it really is pretty good and I am grateful that it worked!


Our breakfast was Eggs Paleo from the cookbook Make it Paleo. I am sure you gather from the title that it is a riff on Eggs Benedict. This was really good and it was the most filling meal of the day for Jeff. Here is the recipe (recipe is for 1 serving, I multiplied it to suit our needs today):

2 strips of bacon, 1 large slice of tomato (I only had romas so I used 2 small slices), 1/2 avocado, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1 clove of garlic, 3 Tbsp water, 1 egg, pepper to taste

1. Cook bacon, cool crumble for later (as you can see in our picture I left the bacon whole, will crumble next time)
2. Slice your tomato
3. Place avocado in a food processor. Add lemon juice, garlic and water. Blend until the drizzle is a smooth consistency.
4. Poach eggs
5. Plate by stacking the egg on the tomato slice. Liberally dress with the avocado drizzle the sprinkle with pepper and bacon.


For lunch today we ate pulled pork (recipe found here) that I put into the crock pot last night. We wrapped it in lettuce leaves like a taco and dressed it with leftover avocado drizzle from breakfast, tomato and green onion. We also ate some raw veggies on the side.


Our main snack today (and probably for the duration of this challenge) was Grain Free Granola from the cookbook Make it Paleo. This is wonderful! It can be eaten like cereal with Almond or Coconut milk or dry like Trail Mix. Here is the recipe:

1 cup each raw: sunflower seeds, pecans, walnuts, pumpkin seeds and sliced almonds; 1 cup each shredded unsweetened coconut, chopped medjool dates and raisins.

1. Soak nuts and seeds in warm water and a Tbsp of salt for 10-12 hours
2. Drain and spread onto a baking sheet. Set oven at 110 degrees F and dehydrate for 10-12 hours. (if your lowest setting is higher than 110 leave the door ajar) Coarsely chop and place in a large bowl.
3. Mix in shredded coconut, chopped dates and raisins.


For dinner we ate chicken salad with lettuce (really delicious). I roasted boneless, skinless chicken thighs seasoned with olive oil salt and pepper in the oven on a baking sheet for about a half an hour. I let the chicken cool and then chopped it up with 3 celery stalks, toasted pecans (maybe a 1/2 a cup), green onions, a little garlic salt and homemade mayo.
For the mayo (also from Make it Paleo):

1 egg, 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice, 1/4 tsp ground mustard, 1 cup unrefined macadamia nut oil, salt and pepper to taste

1. In a blender or food processor, blend egg, lemon juice and mustard
2. Slowly add in the oil while processing to fully emulsify
3. When the oil has all emulsified and you have a creamy mayonaise, add in salt and pepper. Continue to blend until combined.


Whew, that was a lot. I do not blame you if you did not read every recipe :) I plan to do more recipes that do not involve using a lettuce leaf but today I wanted to prepare some things that would be good as leftovers for lunch this week. I have to say that I really enjoy the "homemade" aspect of what we are doing, as long as I have time I love to do things from scratch!

No comments: