Sunday, September 6, 2009

Recipe 9 Alder Planked Salmon

It has been so long since I have posted a recipe that I could not even remember what number to put on this... I have got to keep up with this a little better.

This is a recipe we tried out when Jeff's parents were here and really enjoyed so we repeated it last night. We were not able to find alder planks when we were looking so we used cedar... since I have not had it on alder I can not give you a preference but I can say that so far it has been very good the way we have made it.

Alder Planked Salmon in Asian Style Marinade

1 (15 x 6 1/2 x 3/8-inch) alder grilling plank
1/2 cup rice vinegar
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 (3 1/2-pound) salmon fillet
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
Preparation
Immerse and soak the plank in water 1 hour; drain.

To prepare grill for indirect grilling, heat one side of the grill to high heat.

Combine vinegar and the next 6 ingredients (vinegar through lemon) in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal. Shake to combine. Add fish; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes, turning once.

Place plank on grill rack over high heat; grill 5 minutes or until lightly charred. Carefully turn plank over; move to cool side of grill. Remove fish from marinade; discard marinade. Place fish, skin side down, on charred side of plank. Cover and grill 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Sprinkle with onions and sesame seeds.

LeeAnn's Note: When we pull the salmon out of the marinade we take the lemon slices out as well and top the salmon with them while it is grilling. Makes the end product very pretty and, I think, adds a little extra flavor as well.



Today I made sandwiches out of the leftovers and they turned out well enough that I am adding that recipe here:

The spread was equal parts cream cheese to sour cream with diced green onion, a little bit of salt and liberal black pepper. That went on one side of bread, on the other I spread mashed avocado. I shredded the salmon on top of the avocado and added thin slices of cucumber and tomato... even my husband liked it (leftovers are not his thing so I have to get creative for him to eat them). No picture of this one, sorry :)

2 comments:

Tyne said...

Now that looks freakin' delish! Yum, I am so proud of you for cooking, being all pregnant and all.

Jeff said...

It is freakin' delish!!