Sunday, October 12, 2008

Well Now That's a Bit too Early!!

This was the view from our front porch this morning.  I thought about not posting it because I thought it would keep people form coming up to visit us, but then I realized that nobody comes to visit us anyway.  We've had an upper level low parked over us since Friday and as a result we had 22" of snow on the ground as of noon on Sunday.  Red Lodge 50 miles to the south has over four feet on the ground!!  Not to worry though, in true Montana fashion the temperatures will be back up in the 60's by Wednesday.  While the snow is welcome (due to the fact that it will drive all the critters to lower elevations where I can then shoot them) it has made for a very long week!  I took over as the Assistant Chief Pilot in charge of UPS operations on Monday which is a fancy way of saying that I'm the guy that has to make everything work.  Unfortunately for me, snow, cold, fog and airplanes don't mix well and I pulled more than one 24 hour day last week making plans and changing them over and over again as airplanes broke or couldn't get to the places they were supposed to be.  I made 47 phone calls on Thursday/Friday trying to get everything coordinated!  Ultimately my efforts weren't in vain and everything did work out, but I'm really starting to wonder what I've gotten myself into!  Well at least I don't have to fly this winter. . . oh wait, I flew 6 legs yesterday in CRAPPY weather and shot 4 ILS approaches to minimums, that's exactly what I was trying to avoid by taking this job.  Oh well at least I'll get some management experience and gray hair out of the deal.  Oh yeah and a company cell phone!!

5 comments:

Tyne said...

Oh my word... well, it may not get us up to visit you, but you may be in for a little visit to the hottest place in North America in November (wanna come to the Valley?) Are y'all going to make it to E. TX for Thanksgiving?

apemarie said...

we got the same kind of snow here in boise - did you hear?! no fall, just winter :~) thankfully it's melting away slowly... we'll still find a reason to come visit you!

Elizabeth Evans said...

Wow...that actually looks refreshing! It makes me want to snowboard. So, before I realized Jeff was posting this I thought LeeAnn was shooting critters. It was a nice picture in my mind. Love you guys!

Rachel Wilson said...

Oh snap! It was 85 degrees yesterday here. :( I wanna come visit and enjoy the snow! and of course enjoy yall!

mollyb said...

Jeff, congrats on the new role! Sounds like you may be able to decrease your flight hours (on good weekends)? Which is a good thing?

Good luck - rock them Idaho style!