Friday, May 23, 2008

Death Sucks!

Early this morning our good friend Kelly was killed when the plane he was flying crashed shortly after takeoff. It's only been fourteen hours since my phone rang around 2 a.m. with the news that his plane was down, but it feels like weeks ago. . . actually, none of this seems real. I keep expecting to wake up. But it's hard to wake up when you can't even sleep. This hits especially close to home since I talked to him an hour before he took off. Kelly was flying an airplane I routinely fly on a route I had flown the night before in weather that was just as bad as it was when I flew. The plane was old but not that old, the load was heavy but not that heavy and the weather was bad but not that bad. It just makes you ask why. I'm not sure we will ever know. The pieces of the airplane that weren't shattered by the impact were burned by the post crash fire and that will leave little for the investigators to go on. I guess we can take comfort in the big "why" of God's sovereignty. For we know that God does all things for a reason and that His reasons are good. Somewhere, somehow, in someone's life, this whole nasty mess will work itself out to accomplish God's good plan. In the meantime, those of us that knew Kelly can consider ourselves truly blessed to have walked with him on this earth and we look forward to being reunited with him in eternity. I'm so glad he knew the Lord! Shooting guns, hunting, hiking, camping, and blowing stuff up at the Fourth of July will never be quite the same without him. But as Kelly would say "improvise, adapt, overcome." That may take a while my friend. See you on the other side.

P.S. please pray for Kelly's family and especially his son Ryan and daughter Ashley. Thanks

Below are a few pictures of our friend

2 comments:

apemarie said...

I'm so sorry you lost this wonderful friend! I'm praying!! Love ya~

Vashey Fam said...

Oh no that is so sad. I'm sorry you guys! I think death is even harder when it happens out of nowhere. I'm saying a prayer right now for Kelly's family.