Thursday, October 2, 2008

Hurry up and wait



Yesterday I discovered that an out-patient surgery is a series of "hurry up and wait". We were told to arrive at the hospital at noon for my 1:30 surgery. Upon checking in we sat in the waiting room; once called back to the prep room I was asked to change and then laid in the bed waiting; my iv was done, the initial vitals were taken and then we waited for the surgery department to say they were ready; I was wheeled up to the surgery department where Jeff was shown to the waiting room at which time there was some paperwork unfinished and once again I was waiting... This sounds like everything was delayed while in actuality it went very smoothly. Since Monday when we found out that our baby was gone I have been grieving while also waiting on pins and needles. My options were to allow my body to go through the natural miscarriage process of severe cramping, bleeding and pain or to have a D & C. Since we made the decision to go ahead with the D & C I have been nervously hoping/praying that I would make it to the surgery before that cramping began. As the Anesthesiologist put the mask over my mouth the surgeon was on one side and a nurse on the other, tears began to fall and each of them reached out at the same time to wipe them away... sadness and relief mixed together. I believe that God is still healing us and that this cannot be a quick thing to recover from... but some closure was reached yesterday and the tears are a little fewer and far between. God is good, His hope is constantly the light at the end of our tunnel, the joy amidst our sorrow and the lifeline that we can cling to when things go awry. We believe God as He promises:

"Jer 29:11 'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.
Jer 29:12 'Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will listen to you."

and we cling to the command to:

"Phl 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!
Phl 4:5 Let your gentle {spirit} be known to all men. The Lord is near.
Phl 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
Phl 4:7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

5 comments:

The Rowland Crew said...

LeeAnn and Jeff,
My heart aches for you. We will continue to pray for comfort and peace for you both.
Love,
Emily

Tyne said...

Oh LeeAnn and Jeff, I am so sorry. I am aching over this and I so wish I could be there to hug you and wipe the tears. I am so thankful that the Lord is near and will bring you peace and comfort and hope in this time. Thank you for sharing and being so vulnerable. We really love y'all and are praying for you in this time.

Vashey Fam said...

Sweet cousin, I wish I could see you right now. I am praying hard for you and Jeff.

the Lattins said...

Precious friends,
We love you. And we are continuing to lift you up in this time of grieving and sadness. Our hearts mourn with you and I wish I could give you a hug. Love, Anna

Anonymous said...

LeeAnn,
My heart is aching for you both and I am praying constantly. I love you dearly.
~Beth